Raising Jane Journal

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Homemade Buttermilk

I love buttermilk. It goes well in so many things. But I also love organic and buttermilk does not come organic in these parts. So today I made up a fresh batch of my own "organic" buttermilk. Using regular store bought buttermilk and organic milk. Now I will have buttermilk ready for all my baking needs.
It's quite simple. In a one quart jar and 3 1/2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Seal and shake to mix. Leave in a warm place for about 24 hours until it thickens up. Keep in the fridge ready and waiting. I usually like to start a fresh batch once a week with a 1/2 cup from the current batch. That way I know it is always fresh. Hmm! I am thinking some homemade buttermilk ice cream might be a nice treat for the kids. Does anyone have a good recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment