Raising Jane Journal

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sourdough Here, Sourdough There, Sourdough is Everywhere

I love sourdough more than I love buttermilk. It lends amazing flavor to baked goods. I had gotten away from it for a while but this winter weather as me in the mood to be in the kitchen. So this week I started not one but three sourdough starters. Your basic sourdough, a buttermilk sourdough (something new to try with all that buttermilk I have on hand), and lastly a friendship starter. All are extremely easy to start and will lend lots of opportunity to get in the kitchen with the kids and have some fun.
Basic Sourdough Starter:
2 cups flour (I used white spelt), 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 tablespoon yeast.
Mix together in a half gallon glass jar and let sit in a warm spot, it will bubble up and then settle back down again. Stir once a day for 5 days until nice and sour and the keep in the fridge.
Buttermilk Sourdough Starter:
2 cups flour (again, white spelt), 2 cups buttermilk, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 tablespoon yeast.
The same rules apply to this starter as for the basic. You may need to add extra buttermilk to thin this out to pancake batter consistancy.
Frienship Sourdough Starter:
1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup sugar.
Mix together and let sit untouched for five days.
I will keep you posted on how things are going and what we are making over the next few days.
Why not start some of your own sourdough starters and bring back a tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment