Raising Jane Journal

Friday, December 23, 2011

A Sourdough Update

For those of you following my adventure back to sourdough I thought I'd bring you up to date on what's been going on this week. On Wednesday both the buttermilk and traditional sourdough were ready to go. The buttermilk sourdough was perfect, the traditional needed a little work. I had forgotten that when using spelt flour a cup is not really a cup, it's 1 1/4 cups, do to it's ability to absorb water. So my traditional sourdough looked a little thin. I decided to add 1 cup extra cup of flour, 1/2 cup of water and 2 teaspoon of sugar, to thicken it up and get it active again. After another day of sitting it was looking up. I give each of these a good stir everyday and have left them out to make some holiday treats with. After that they will head to the fridge. The friendship sourdough got a stirring on Thursday (Day 6) and this morning I fed it with an additional 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 cup milk and 1 cup sugar (all organic of course). Now that batch will get a stirring everyday with the others until Monday when I will feed it one more time and it will be ready to use. Hmm, I'm thinking of an after holiday batch of Friendship Cinnamon Rolls. Today I also started a batch of water kefir. You can read more on that over at Marquardt Health Coaching.
On another note, thanks to the wonderful man in my life, all the presents are officially wrapped and under the tree. Well, all but the box of chocolates that my dog decided to unwrap and attempted to snack on. It's is wonderful that he loves to take the kids out and spend time with them. I wish you all a wonderful holiday filled with joy and happiness, and maybe a little sourdough.

No comments:

Post a Comment