Raising Jane Journal

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

In the Kitchen

Well it's been a few days and so much has been going on. This is all that is left of the chocolate sourdough cake. It was a huge sucess. I adapted the recipe from the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook to use 2 1/2 cups white spelt flour and buttermilk instead of milk. It actually made 2 9" cakes. One is unfrosted in the freezer for New Years. The icing is grandma's standby. Powdered sugar mixed with leftover coffee. Yum!!
This is a picture of the cinnamon rolls a made for breakfast with the friendship starter. The recipe was from Friendship Breads by Jackie Gannaway. The icing for this was pure luck. I did not have powdered sugar in the house when I made these. I decided to take 1 cup of turbinado sugar and 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder to the blender until it was a fine powder and then mixed just enough milk to make a icing. Success!!
In other news, I was very excited to find my great grandmother's buttons. They were not in a jar but in a box. My daughter will get to add her great-great grandmother's buttons to her new button jar. For Christmas she also recieved a box of Whitman's chocolates so that she will be able to have a sewing box just like grandma. Things are quieting down here from the holidays and I hope to start a few home projects soon, but for now, it's time to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment