Raising Jane Journal

Monday, December 19, 2011

Reminders

My baby (now 8) takes after her momma. She loves sitting quietly and reading, crafting, being in the kitchen...all those homey things. So I decided it was time for her to start building a sewing kit of her own. Project #1: the button jar. Both of my girls were fortunate enough to have met  their great, great grandmothers. Both traditional depression era grandparents. I was fortunate to receive their crafting supplies. So in a hunt for great great grandma's button jar I pulled out the old Whitman's candy box loaded with goodies. Baby food jars filled with beads. Old medicine bottles filled with pins. Mint tins filled with odds and ends. While I did not find the button jar a was looking for, I loved the reminder it gave me of a simpler time. When we reused everything we had. In the end, my daughter was able to start her button jar from mine, not great great grandma's, but a spark has been ignited. To slow down and take a lesson from these women who have gone before us. To pass on both the memories of these people and what they stood for.

No comments:

Post a Comment